I did make a few changes to the pattern:
1. I only put the petals on one side
2. I didn't use the bias trim on the petals. Instead, I make a second petal out of scrap white fabric, sewed right sides together, clipped curves, turned inside out and appliqued them on.
3. I made the pockets differently. I used the method found in Amy Butler's Sweet Harmony pattern to put full length open pockets on both sides of the back. I could have added a zippered pocket (see my tutorial), but, frankly, this bag had enough steps already. :)
4. I interfaced the lining. The pattern calls for home dec weight, but since I used a quilting cotton on the inside, I interfaced all the pieces.
5. The pattern tells you to handstitch the lining into the bag. No way Jose! I just stitched over the zipper stitching to attach the lining. It was a little hard to maneuver since the bag is HEAVILY interfaced, but it turned out pretty good!
Overall, this is a great pattern! I didn't notice any mistakes. I would caution about trimming the heavyweight interfacing. The pattern says to trim 1/2" from all sides, but for the bottom exterior panel, I'd trim slightly more because it was nearly impossible to sew the second long side. The heavy weight interfacing doesn't bend at all so it was a bit tricky to squish it down enough to lay the second long side flat enough to sew together with the main panel. Trust me, this will make sense if you ever make this bag. Ironically, this is supposed to be the hardest bag in the book, but I found it WAY easier than the Cosmo bag that is supposed to be one of the easiest! I love the shape and the fact that it can stand up on its own! Gotta love all that interfacing! I'm not 100% satisfied with the petals, but I think that's because I probably wouldn't have put them on had this been a bag for myself. Hopefully my partner will love them!
Exterior is a heavy suiting herringbone with appliqued petals using Kaffe and Michael Miller dots.
Interior prints are all Alexander Henry's Farmdale