While I'm still working on projects for the bazaar, I have taken some time recently to make a few things for myself. The other day I made that Aunty Cookie pouch and a few days ago I whipped up these voile pillow cases. That's right, VOILE!
I had originally bought this fabric with the thought of making a dress (maybe like AMH's tunic tutorial), but I've come to realize I need to stick with my strengths, and clothes are simply NOT one of them! ha ha! So I thought I'd indulge myself with some voile pillow cases.
One of the projects I've had set aside for myself for a long time has been a queen sized quilt with Little Folks voile on one side and Folksy Flannel on the other. I don't have time to start a new quilt project right now, so I felt that pillow cases could tide me over until I make my fantasy quilt.
Speaking of AMH, I made this bag (for my upcoming NYC trip) from my favorite Loulouthi print! The pattern is from ithinkisew and is called the KELLY bag! Eeep! How perfect!
I did modify the pattern some. I used Shape Flex to interface the exterior. I cut muslin the same shape as the exterior and basted it all around. I wanted to give the bag some more weight, but I didn't have enough fusible fleece OR canvas so I had to make do with the muslin.
I also added large open pockets to both sides of the bag. I did this by folding down the pattern piece about 1.5" below the marking for the magnetic snap and cutting two pocket piece PER side (so 4 total). In retrospect, I would have made the pockets sit a bit lower, maybe 3-4 inches below the snap. I interfaced one side of each pocket with Decor Bond. I sewed the top of the pocket pieces right sides together, then opened the piece to place wrong sides together and topstitched the top portion. Repeated for the other piece. Next I placed the pockets on the interior pieces and sewed a line up the middle of the pocket pieces, creating two large open pocket per side (so 4 pockets total). You can make the pockets any size you want depending on where you sew. Then I basted the pocket pieces to the lining pieces and sewed according to the pattern. The interior is made with fabric from It's a Hoot, Just Wing It, and Aviary 2.
This pattern is SUPER simple and I highly recommend it!