I'm doing a little private swap with Jessie and I came up with this idea for her table topper. I used all the pretty new prints from Tula Pink's Birds & Bees line. It's pretty simple in construction, but I went all out for the quilting!
I've been wanting to expand my free motion quilting repertoire and I love this cathedral window look. I've seen a few similar styles, but I always found the method difficult--I couldn't see the corner I was aiming for while I was quilting. I'm going to be posting a video tutorial soon about how I did this. It was so incredibly easy (and forgiving!) I'm already excited to try it out on another quilt because, as we all know, practice makes perfect with FMQ!
UPDATE: Here is the video tutorial! It's also posted on my YouTube channel, kelbysews.
Ok, that might not be the most appetizing title, but you get the idea. The winners for July's My Precious giveaway (as determined by Mr. RNG) are as follows:
The winner of the Zakka Style book is: #40 Ramona who is almost done with her Dick and Jane quilt!
The winner of the Mazed pattern by Kristy Daum, 2 yards Kona Coal, and a mini charm pack (2.5" squares) of Heather Ross prints is--and I can't believe Mr. RNG picked her--#11 Angela who made this beautiful quilt for her daughter!
The winner of "Leon" the accordion playing gnome pincushion with Heather Ross mushroom fabric, a 3 piece set of her gnome pins, and a FQ of Heather Ross blue gnome fabric from Lightning Bugs and Other Mysteries is: #38 Melissa who obviously likes Heather Ross since she made this adorable pillow!
The winner of a Heather Ross goldfish pincushion plus a set of 3 goldfish pins, a hand-stamped goldfish notecard set, and some Heather Ross scraps is: #40 Carmen who is working on some great paper pieced blocks! Each one is unique and has some great hard-to-find fabrics!
And finally, the winner of 1/2 yard of Gold Seed from the original Flea Market Fancy printing and a set of Portland Peel templates donated by Rachel and Jill from Tab-Slot: #7 Tiffany who finished this stunner
Congrats to all the winners and a HUGE thank you to Christine, Rachel, and Jill for donating prizes this month! I'll be contacting the winners (or you can shoot me an email) to get your address so your prizes can be mailed out! Thanks everyone for participating! Remember, we have one more month left so keep cutting into that hoarded stash! Next month's prizes include a gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop!!!!!
My youngest turns 3 in October and I still haven't made him a quilt! The time had come! I totally fell in love with Cloud 9's new line, Seven Seas.
I bought 1/4 yard cuts from Sew Mama Sew and immediately diced them up into 4.5" squares, added a few other prints to balance out the colors, and whipped up a quilt top! I still have lots left over so I may make another for my etsy shop!
Fresh from the dryer this morning!
He had a lot of fun having his picture taken with his quilt!
"Look! It's mine!" I ended up using leftover pieces of binding from other projects for this binding--I always save anything I have left. It ended up really working out! I had the perfect amount of scrap black, aqua, red, and yellow!
After our photo session, he snuggled down on the couch and started yelling at the dog for laying on his quilt!
For the backing I used this fun, bright dot print from Ann Kelle's Remix line. Of course, I free motion quilted it. I thought straight lines would look nice, but in the end, I was too lazy and just went with my old stand by!
I'm so happy I took some time out to make this little dude something of his own. Amazingly, he seems to appreciate it!
Can you believe it's that time again???? I swear these months are going by so stinkin' fast!!!! Ok, I'll make this short and sweet. You can read the story/rules behind this quilt-a-long HERE. If you've made something with your Precious fabric this month, please link up at the end of this post so we can see your pretty work! If you link up you can win one of five prizes this month!
1. A copy of Zakka Style by Rashida Coleman-Hale donated by little old me! This book has tons of cute little projects! I'm partial to the bag of cookies. I wonder why? :)
2. The Mazed pattern by Kristy Daum, 2 yards Kona Coal, and a mini charm pack (2.5" squares) of Heather Ross prints! This is donated by my sweet friend, Christine who is a Heather Ross addict! She will be including prints from Mendocino, Spoonflower, West Hill, Munki Munki, and Lightning Bugs and Other Mysteries!
She even went the extra mile and fussy cutting those bad boys! This is my dream prize, truly. I love using little bits of Heather Ross! Oh, have I mentioned I finished all my blocks for My Precious Quilt? Check it out!
3. Also from Christine, "Leon" the accordion playing gnome pincushion with Heather Ross mushroom fabric, a 3 piece set of her gnome pins (she makes them!!!!), and a FQ of Heather Ross blue gnome fabric from Lightning Bugs and Other Mysteries!!! Holy wow!
4. Christine is donating one more awesome prize! A Heather Ross goldfish pincushion plus a set of 3 goldfish pins, a handstamped goldfish notecard set, and some Heather Ross scraps (to include some of both goldfish prints)!!!
5. Rachel and Jill from Tab-Slot are graciously donating 1/2 yard of Gold Seed from the original Flea Market Fancy printing and a set of Portland Peel templates from their shop! Jill even makes custom templates! These acrylic templates are WAY easier to work with than using flimsy template plastic, paper, or tracing! Go stock up!
Link up here! Let's see those Precious Projects!!! You have until July 20th at 11pm Central time to post your picture!
And then I tried to make a kindle cover. The March 3 is significant since that is my birthday. (the front)
I used tons of my precious favorites and some pieces I only had a tiny bit of. I was so happy with it....until I tried to put my Kindle in it and realized it was too small! Boo! I decided to make a it a tool pouch instead! :)
I really hope I'm not the only one who makes beginner mistakes! Let this be a lesson to all of you who are participating in the My Precious QAL, always double check your measurements!!!!